An earlier Rosehaugh had been acquired by Roderick Mackenzie in 1790 and began improving an even earlier dwelling at a cost of between £3000 and £4000 - and the result shows. In 1864 James Fletcher bought the 6,400 acre estate and did a lot to improve it by draining a loch, bogs and swamps and installing drainage. Tree-planting probably followed and Bog of Shannon Wood was the result.
Fast forward to Canada and 1940. The Canadian Forestry Corps was set up in Victoria, British Columbia, in 1940. Our interest is in No 6 Company which arrived in Scotland in March 1941. It then divided in two sending one half to Abernethy, Boat of Garten, and the other part to Bog of Shannon Wood, Avoch. Known as the Black Isle Camp of the Canadian Forestry Corps, it was the biggest tree-felling operation in Ross & Cromarty. Implications are that this meant 120 men - no wonder it was 'big'. The Camp (designated as District No 4, Camp 8) continued working until May 1945.
See the excellent Avoch Heritage for a lot more such as the fate of Rosehaugh
|Return to Main Menu||Monument Selection||Back to Avoch|