The first refeence to 'Dingwall Academy' seems to be when the Free Church Institution adopted the name in 1869. At the time there were two schools in Dingwall. The Parish School was maintained by local 'rates', and the Free Church Institution by government grant and student fees. These fees were of the order of 4 shillings (20p today) per quarter. The title 'Academy' was included in an Inverness Courier report of the appointment (without name) of an HM Inspector of Schools dated 11th February 1875, clarified a week later by the statement - "During the last 12 years he had charge of a large school in Dingwall which was originally the Free Church Institution, and was latterly known as the Dingwall Academy".
The Free Church school had started in a thatched building in Greenhill Street. A separate 'Infant School' project had a purpose-built building for it which opened in 1833, but closed in 1846 with considerable debt. The Free Church Institution bought that building, and added a new large class-room in 1863-64; at that time the Academy roll was said to be 'at least 200'. The location of this was in Caberfeidh Avenue where British Telecom's was, at one time. The Parish School was located in what is now St Clement's School, in Tulloch Street which had been enabled by a bequest from Miss MacLennan of 'The Castle'. In 1874 the Parish School, and the Academy, both came under the control of the Dingwall School Board. A new Academy was then built on the Tulloch Street site in ??. See 'Picture Gallery'.
The above history means that the World War One Memorial, shown on previous page, must have been in that Caberfeidh Avenue building. A picture of its unveiling is shown in the Academy Phpto Gallery - see nav bar below. It was transfered to the 1939 Academy on Tulloch Hill and is now in the new Academy.
‘S e an àrd sgoil as motha ann an Gaidhealtachd na h-Alba a th’ann an Acadamaidh Inbhir Pheofhairean.
Tha 1087 sgoilear ann. Chaidh a’ chiad togalach a thogail anns na 1930an agus chaidh togalach ùr a
thogail anns a’ Cheitein 2008. Chosg an sgoil ùr seo £28 millean.
Tha naoidh bun-sgoiltean ceangailte ris an acadamaidh; Inbhir-Pheofhairean, Beinn Uais, Strath Pheofhair,
Tarbhdal, Maol Buidhe, Fearann Thòmais, An Lagaidh, Strath Chonainn agus Strath Ghairbh. Bidh sgoilearan
eile a’ tighinn bho àitean eile ma dh’iarras iad àite san Acadamaidh.
Tha an sgoil agus a sgoilearan a’ cur mòr-luach air spèis, dleastanas, onair agus dìcheall. ‘S e sluagh-ghairm
na sgoile ‘Salve corona’ a tha ciallachadh ‘Hoire an Crùn” ann an Laideann
Tha torr diofar chlasaichean anns an sgoil airson torr diofar chuspairean, bhon aonad ciùil goireasach gu an
leabhar-lann a tha fosgailte don choimhearsnachd. Tha roinnean gu math teicneòlach ann cuideachd a tha a’ toirt
chlasaichean seachad ann an obair-chiùird, saidheans agus còcaireachd cho math ri goireasan spòrs air leth.
Tha iomadh club agus buidheann a’ cleachdadh nan goireasan seo às dèidh na sgoile cuideachd
Tha foghlam tro mheadhan na Gàidhlig air bhith na phàirt chudromach ann am Bun-Sgoil agus ann an Acadamaidh
Inbhir Pheofharain agus an-dràsta tha 28 sgoilearan ann a tha a’ faighinn oideachadh tro mheadhan na Gàidhlig
ann an cuspairean mar Cruinn-Eòlas, Eachdraidh agus a’ Ghàidhlig fhèin anns an Acadamaidh
|Return to Main Menu||Monument Selection||Academy First Page||Academy Photo Gallery|