The origin of the Ross Mountain Battery was in the formation of the 4th Highland
(Mountain) Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF) in 1908. Parts of the Highland
RGA (V) and the 1st Argyle & Bute RGA (V) were set up as three batteries, the Ross
Mountain Battery based at Lochcarron, the Bute Mountain Battery at Campbelltown,
and the Argyle Mountain Battery at Rothesay, which also became the regimental
headquarters.This happy state continued until 1920 when the regiment was
reconstituted as the 26th Highland Pack Brigade RGA (TF) with headquarters
at Tarbet. The reason for that name-change is not clear.
After more redesignations and reorganisations, and the change of RGA to RA in 1927, it is said that the regiment became the 254th Anti-Tank Regiment RA (West Highland) TA in 1947.
The service record of the regiment shows that it was involved in the First World
War in the UK in 1914-1915, then Gallipoli in 1915, and Macedonia in 1916-1918.
In World War II it was shown to be in the UK from 1939-1940 then placed in
'suspended animation' until reconstitution in 1947 as described above.
The uniform of the regiment was Service Dress (SD)with an RGA cap-badge on an
SD peaked cap. SD was khaki trousers and a jacket with brass buttons down
the front, and buttoning up to the kneck. Puttees and ?? boots were normal
for other ranks. Each battery wore brass shoulder titles on the lapels of
the SD jacket, with the designations T/RGA/ROSS&CROMARTY, or T/RGA/ARGYLE, or
T/RGA/BUTE, as appropriate, for the others. In the early days, photographs
show that brown leather bandoliers were worn. Whilst serving in Macedonia in
1916, the regiment was issued with Balmorals for officers and Kilmarnock bonnets for other ranks. A tartan flash was worn behind the RA gun badge, each battery having different tartan as follows:
HQ Battery - Royal Stewart
Argyle Battery - Campbell
Bute Battery - Hunting Stewart
Ross Battery - Mackenzie.
Officers dress was as for other Highland Regiment, such as Cameron Highlanders
fr om where most of the officers came.
In 1914 the buildings, on Ferry Road, Dingwall, known as Seaforth Barracks, was the base for "C" sub-section, Ammunition Column, 4th Highland Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery, Mountain, and HQ and "B" Company 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.